We have the pleasure to announce that Radimed now offers service in pediatric imaging including ultrasound
Description of the Pediatric imaging
A pediatric ultrasound is a tool that allows a radiologist to examine children and make many diagnoses specific to them, such for example, anomalies of the kidneys, or a kidney obstruction. We can also diagnose pyloric stenosis, which is a form of a stomach obstruction. We can also see if the spleen is increased in size in cases of mononucleosis or lymphoma. We can also see if there are any abnormal lymph nodes in the belley. Finally, we can diagnose appendicitis.
This medical imaging modality (Pediatric imaging), does not use any radiation and therefore, it is safe for children. We scan the belley of the child with a probe, which does not cause any pain. For young children, a parent can accompany them in the examination room.
Your child will be lying down on a bed while having the ultrasound. You may want to bring a toy or other distraction for infants and younger children.
Note: Parents will be allowed to accompany their child into the exam room. It may be helpful to make other arrangements for siblings.
There are different preparations depending on your child’s age and the body part being examined.
Renal, bladder, and pelvic exam
There is no restriction on food. Because your child should have a full bladder for the exam, please have your child drink as follows:
- Infants to 2 years old: Liquid feeding one hour prior to the appointment. Bring an extra juice or formula bottle to give your baby during the exam.
- 3 to 5 years old: Give your child as much to drink as possible (at least 8 ounces) one half hour before the appointment. Encourage your child not to empty his or her bladder.
- 6 and older: Encourage fluids one hour before the appointment. Encourage your child not to empty his or her bladder.
Your child should not eat or drink before the study with fasting times as follows:
- Infants: 2 to 3 hours
- 1 to 4 years old: 3 to 4 hours
- 5 years and older old: 6 hours
There are no special preparations needed for the following exams:
- Hip Exam
Examination duration 20 to 30 minutes
Examinations COVERED by the RAMQ
Dress your child comfortably, in clothes that are easily removed.